(1) Strange Bedfellows Challenge ---- Pick two characters with nothing at all in common and then place them in a situation where they must cooperate. The characters need not be from the same fandom; in fact, crossovers are encouraged. The characters need to accomplish something together, and what that something is, is up to you. There can be sex, but there doesn't have to be. Do whatever your plot calls for. For example....
- Blair Sandburg and Han Solo must infiltrate Area 51 and recover the Millennium Falcon from where it is being held.
- Fox Mulder and Colonel Jack O'Neil are captured by the Consortium, wanting answers to questions regarding aliens. What do they say? What can they say? And, should they escape, can they trust each other?
- Obi-Wan Kenobi wakes from an accident to find himself on a large rotating space station named, as he discovers, Babylon 4. It's deserted, save one person, called Ambassador Jeffrey Sinclair. They're on their way to a planet in turmoil called Minbar.
(2)"But What If..." Challenge ---- Pick a fandom and choose a canon moment of great importance to the plot. Change the actions of the characters involved and see how the outcome is rearranged in that reality. Allow it to play out. Then, if you want, allow the characters to recognize that the reality has changed and something *wrong* or something *right* has happened. Do they go back and fix it? Or do they live with the changes? For example...
- Suppose that Han Solo does NOT return to blow Darth Vader out of the sky at the last moment. What happens next?
- Suppose that Commander Susan Ivanova orders her Whitestar crew to swerve at the last moment, thus avoiding a mass of debris that would have otherwise led to disaster for herself and Marcus Cole. However, perhaps the debris caused some damage to the Lead Ship...and led to Delenn's death. What happens now?
- Suppose that the Toronto PD burst into Nick's apartment to see the scene unfolding before them: Natalie sprawled unconscious and bloody on the floor, Nick kneeling with his hands clasped behind him, and LaCroix holding a deadly weapon high for the deadly downswing. What happens now?
(3) Multiples Challenge ---- I've always been intrigued by multiple births, particularly when the multiples are identical. You hear all the stories about identical twins and triplets trading dates, trading off classes in school, having identity crises about being individuals, things like that. Pick a character from any fandom, but not necessarily one where the character is already a canon multiple. If they're already canon multiples, look into their past and present and show us stuff. If you create a multiple or two, show us what it might be like to suddenly learn about it or not ... maybe the subject just never came up until a problem presented itself. If you want, pick two characters from different fandoms that were played by the same actor. For example....
- Simon Banks is seemingly always moaning about Blair Sandburg. Hyperactive, long-haired, hippie, tea-drinking, Guide-to-a-Sentinel, Sandburg. How would Simon react if Blair's identical twin came for a visit? After all, wouldn't he want to talk some sense into his twin? I mean, working with a cop?
- Jett, Joxer, and Jace are identical triplets with completely different personalities, even though they supposedly all were raised in the same household. Xena, though, finds out that they weren't ... and why.
- Colonel Jack O'Neill discovers through a visitor to the SGC that there's someone out there who looks exactly like him. Somewhat paranoid about just this very thing after his encounter with the blue crystal alien -- and justifiably so -- he looks into finding out exactly who this MacGyver guy is. The discovery that they're identical twins comes as a shock to both of them.
(4) Immortality Challenge ---- And while I'm on the subject of multiples, there's something I've always wondered about Highlander. Has there ever been a pair of identical twin Immortals? Both bad, both good, one of each? What would happen if one identical twin was a pre-Immortal, and the other was not? Would that even be possible, considering all Immies are foundlings?
Do any of these catch your fancy? Have they got your plotbunnies excited? If so, let me know.
Go back to the Library
© 1997 email@example.com
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page